Monday, June 1, 2009

june 1 - the farewell poem


today's prompt is to write a farewell poem.

I carried a typewriter

I carried your typewriter,
Not very far, but still I did as I was told.

I observe in secret your fingers as they

puncture light with this vessel,
clarify the space that exists in the photographs,

where the subject is turned,
looking away,

Hiding her subjectivity.

I am bludgeoned by my own need to know
where that gaze ends up.

The typewriter doesn’t answer my questions

The way I imagine they should be.

It stammers
,
eager to dispel

unnecessary assumptions,
and leaves breadcrumbs
down certain paths,
coaxing me to follow.

I carried a typewriter

Crossing the street with this
Mysterious heavyweight,
Wondering where the words will go
when departure arrives.


1 comment: